egeoffrey-gui 1.3 development

• Development of an updated version of egeoffrey-gui is in progress. @eporocrail since there are many of your requests already implemented, would be nice if you can give it a try. To do so, just stop, uninstall egeoffrey-gui, run sudo egeoffrey-cli install egeoffrey-gui:development. There is full compatibility between the previous version and this version so you can go back at any time by uninstalling and installing without the :development tag.
    What have been implemented so far:

• Brand new menu structure for system entries. Any interactive widget has been moved out of the old Welcome page. There is now a group which includes a getting started page (sort of introduction), notifications which now includes the summary which was previously in welcome, chatbot, incoming feed of data which was previously in welcome. At least to me it looks more clear now and key functionalities like the chatbot now have more visibility
    • Almost all pages under House and eGeoffrey have now a short description on top and a link to the documentation. Should help new users in orientating
    • What was called "section" in the menu has been rephrased as "folder" which sounds a bit more clear I believe
    • The menu entry House/Settings has been renamed into "Setup" to give the idea it should be a one-time configuration
    • Users/Groups have been moved out of the old "Settings" and now has a dedicated entry under "House"
    • Added new entries under "House" for Pages and Menu for managing the web interface layout. Removed "Edit Menu" and "New Page" buttons since menu and page management is supposed to take place in the new editors now
    • Added ability to rename sensors (requires egeoffrey-controller v1.3 to also rename the sensor into the database), rules, pages, menu items
    • Wherever an icon is to be selected, a searchable dropdown showing a preview of all the icons is presented
    • Wherever a colour is to be selected, a dropdown is presented
    • When a widget has no title (empty or just a space), the entire blue box is not shown
    • Decreased widgets padding so more text can fit in the widget
    • When adding a user, the icon is no more mandatory
    • Rephrased sensor action labels
    • For Input widget, if the backend sensor is configured with float two decimals, a double decimal is shown
    • For Status widget, it is now possible to customize both ON/OFF colours, icons and text
    • For Input widget, it is now possible to configure an allowed range of values

There a still a few things I need to implement to finalize this version but at least gives some time to collect feedback and test.
    Thanks!

• @user2684
    You indeed have been very busy!
    I start with having a look around in this new version. I am very curious.

• Forgot to mention, I've also added a "Clone" action wherever possible so to facilitate the user in duplicating a sensor/rule/page. Will be also useful for whenever the examples will not be mixed with user-defined content (still working on this) to allow cloning contents and customizing.

• @user2684

Love the "clone" possibility.
    The GUI is MUCH better than the earlier version. It shows itself much more structured.

Some results:

test.jpg

As you can see "When a widget has no title (empty or just a space), the entire box is not shown." works only when a space is put in the "name" field. Just leaving it empty leads to "undefined".

For "input" the range is working correctly. Also float with two figures after comma is OK.
    The "status" widget is very nice as can be seen. Reacts on "1" for "OPS" and "0" for "TEST".

Icons and colours picked from pull-down menu.

The search function in the icons pull-down is working excellent.

Also the little bit of explanation on top of the different pages with the link to the corresponding place in the documentation is very helpful.

I suppose you will adapt the text about the menu in the documentation.

• @user2684

Maybe for the "menu" icon the "sitemap"?

• As you can see "When a widget has no title (empty or just a space), the entire box is not shown." works only when a space is put in the "name" field. Just leaving it empty leads to "undefined".

Good finding, I will fix it. And thanks for the other feedbacks!

I suppose you will adapt the text about the menu in the documentation.

Yes, once finalized I will update the documentation accordingly

Maybe for the "menu" icon the "sitemap"?

Makes sense!

• @user2684

For Status widget, it is now possible to customize both ON/OFF colours, icons and text

Would it be possible to do the same with the "Control an on/off switch" widget, being the "counterpart" of the status widget.

• @eporocrail thanks for the feedbacks so far!

Would it be possible to do the same with the "Control an on/off switch" widget, being the "counterpart" of the status widget.

Makes sense, reopening https://github.com/egeoffrey/egeoffrey-gui/issues/60

Also, with a sudo egeoffrey-cli update egeoffrey-gui you should get the latest dev build with the following updates:

1. Completely redesigned the login workflow(*)
    2. Added contextual help in the login form (blue question marks)
    3. Removed checkbox for live feed in the top-right toolbar (moved in the gui configuration)
    4. When editing/saving a page/menu a waiting popup is shown until the page is fully loaded (no more the old page showing up with the user sitting and waiting a few seconds)
    5. Fixed the menu not updating after editing it
    6. Fixed when elapsed timestamp is from another sensor that was not updated when that sensor is updated
    7. Fixed current page not loaded upon refresh for guest users
    8. Added new gui settings for keeping the sidebar collapsed for full-width pages and for Live Feed to show notifications for every new measure coming from sensors

(*): there were too many glitches with the login process especially when connecting to the cloud gateway due to too short timeouts with a higher response time. For the user the change is not very visible but most of the code has changed so there may be bugs even if I tried to test all the scenarios. The login screen is also providing now feedbacks while logging in so the user knows what is doing and what fails. Also added an additional check to ensure the backend is responding and fully ready.

• @user2684

I have version: egeoffrey-gui v1.3-5 (development)

I can not access my system via the gateway. An empty house is presented.

Collapsing the GUI has as a result that the widgets just get wider. No working space is gained.

• @user2684

I have been trying several ways to login.
    Via cloud.egeoffrey.com I only get a new empty house.

After logging in into the local system and then from there going to the gateway is working.

One thing is still somewhere around. Upon successful login the window reports an error getting access. But access is granted. This is not something new. I had it earlier.

• @user2684

When I get access to the system via the gateway, I can not move away from the webpage where I am. Navigation has no effect.

• @user2684
    Switching back via the pull-down on top of the page is working. Then I go back to the local version. Navigation is working again.

• I'm kind of struggling in reproducing what you are experiencing apart from "Upon successful login the window reports an error getting access. But access is granted. This is not something new. I had it earlier." which I noticed as well.
    Is everything working back again now? If not, anything relevant in the browser's console logs?

Thanks!

• @eporocrail said in egeoffrey-gui 1.3 development:

Via cloud.egeoffrey.com I only get a new empty house.

please note cloud.egeoffrey.com has not been updated with the new GUI, it will once out of the development and testing phase

• @user2684
    In the console nothing moves after connecting to the gateway.

Not able to navigate.

• @user2684
    tried to go to the logs. "you are not authorized to access this page". Not much but it is a reaction.

• @user2684

With double clicking the Welcome tabs do react and bring me to the right pages.
    This does not work with my own pages.

• @user2684
    tried to login as admin. Does not work. I stay logged in with my own account.

• @user2684
    Managed to switch to admin but logged not in with my email account but with my username. Landed in a new house.

Admin had no access to the "sensors" page. Not authorized.

The menu icon is better. 🙂

• @user2684
    I do not know if it is my imagination but reaction while moving around in the local version is snappier. Faster reaction.